Our Coverage Practice Focuses on Policyholder Representation
With over 60 years of experience representing commercial insureds across a wide range of industries on virtually every type of coverage issue, our attorneys provide policyholders knowledgeable and straightforward legal advice.
- Obtained defense-cost reimbursement–after the insurer denied any liability–for one of the country’s largest school districts without having to resort to litigation
- Represented insured in arbitration, which resolved after the first day, involving insured’s claim for significant business-interruption losses.
- Achieved substantial insurance recovery in mediated settlement of professional-liability claim for private university after carrier denied liability
- Settled lawsuit through early mediation for a fire loss under a commercial property policy, including elements of equipment repair, temporary operating expenses and business interruption losses
- After prevailing on appeal of a threshold related-claims coverage issue, successfully settled an E&P client’s securities-claim litigation
- Coverage counsel to a Fortune 100 company in one of the largest insurer-funded shareholder-derivative lawsuits to date
- Prevailed on summary judgment for oilfield service company on the legal meaning of “loss of hole” in a commercial general liability policy
- Settled large, complex defective-construction claim with primary and excess insurers under Owner Controlled Insurance Policy for international hotel and casino chain
- Represented public company in seeking coverage for reimbursement of a settlement for securities claims under directors’ and officers’ policy.
- Counseled Fortune 100 company in one of the largest insurer-funded derivative claim settlements to date.
- Represented Fortune 500 energy company in fidelity insurance claim resulting from computer-based theft.
First Party and Oil & Gas Claims
- Counseled commercial policyholders through business interruption and contingent business interruption claims arising from property damage and orders of civil authority.
- Litigated claims for well bore damage through Underground Resources endorsement.
- Assisted in-house risk management with the settlement of an international boiler & machinery claim involving complex issues of causation.
- Represented international industrial services company in pollution liability coverage litigation.
- Resolved property damage and business interruption claims arising out of radioactive contamination.
- Litigated Control of Well, Making Wells Safe, and Debris Removal claims for hurricane-damaged offshore properties.
THIRD PARTY CLAIMS
- Resolved insureds’ claim involving complex coverage issues arising from multiple deaths at an assisted living facility.
- Coordinated coverage between multiple parties and insurers with conflicting indemnity language in Master Services Agreements.
- Identified historical policies for client faced with long-tail personal injury claims and worked with brokers to maintain consistency in handling claims.
- Litigated coverage issues between a major oil field services company and several excess insurers arising out of an adverse judgment; issues included concurrent causation and underground resources exclusions.
- Counseled oilfield services company on right of reimbursement from insurer for defense costs, penalties and court costs taxed against insured.
EXPLORE OUR PRACTICE AREAS
With a combined 60 years of experience representing commercial insureds across a wide range of industries on virtually every type of coverage issue, our attorneys provide knowledgeable and straightforward legal advice.
John Pearson’s decades of litigation work in the energy and maritime sectors, combined with his recognized commitment to upholding the highest principles of professionalism, make him ideally suited for appointments as an arbitrator.