LATOSHA LEWIS PAYNE
University of Texas School of Law, 2000, J.D.
Thomas J. Watson Post-Graduate Fellowship, “Cultural Constraints on the Development of Women’s Sports” in Kenya, Swaziland, Ghana and Jamaica, 1996-1997
Tulane University, H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial Women’s College, 1996, B.A. Environmental Studies and Political Science
LICENSURE AND BAR ADMISSIONS
State Bar of Texas, admitted to Texas state courts since 2000
United States Appellate Court for the Fifth Circuit
Unites States District Court for the Southern District
United States District Court for the Western District
United States District Court for the Eastern District
United States District Court for the Northern District
Latosha Lewis Payne
Latosha Lewis Payne is a well-respected and tenacious trial attorney.
Latosha Lewis Payne is an experienced civil trial attorney with a diverse practice. For more than 15 years, Ms. Payne has litigated numerous personal injury, premise and product liability, toxic tort, wrongful death, breach of contract, insurance coverage, real estate disputes, employment wage-hour disputes, and environmental disputes in both state and federal courts throughout Texas. She has also served as counsel in appeals to the First, Third, and Ninth Texas state appellate courts, the Texas Supreme Court, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, and the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead trial counsel in numerous personal injury and wrongful death cases involving asbestos and silica exposure in various state courts throughout Texas.
- Texas counsel in food contamination matters for several Fortune 500 companies.
- Trial counsel in trace benzene exposure case (settled at start of jury trial).
- Obtained one of the first no duty to warn summary judgments for national equipment manufacturer in Texas Asbestos MDL court.
- Counsel in Environmental cost recovery action.
- Second chair in jury trial of Mesothelioma personal injury asbestos case (settled during jury selection).
- Obtained summary judgment on issue of Ch. 95 premise owner liability against claims of contractor employee who alleged acute exposure to propylene oxide on client’s premises caused significant personal injuries.
- First chair trial counsel in jury trial involving wrongful death asbestos claims (settled during jury selection).
- Obtained plaintiff jury verdict in personal injury case.
- Lead trial counsel for plaintiff in first party insurance coverage dispute in state and federal court.
- First chair in jury trial to verdict involving a million dollar breach of contract/ partnership (resolved for less than pre-trial offer).
- Trial counsel in bench trial involving Fair Credit Reporting Act/ collection claims (successful defense judgment on all claims except one).
- Obtained 12(b)(6) dismissal of fraud, debt collection, and negligence claims against national mortgage company.
- Counsel in breach of contract and warranty case involving faulty design of a critical component in equipment manufactured by client.
- Lead trial counsel in environmental air permit contested case hearing.
- Litigated over 100 cases to final judgment, dismissal, or successful settlement.
- Counsel in over 35 mediations.
Mentor of the Year Award, Lifted Lifestyle, 2017
The National Black Lawyers, Top 100, 2015
Thomson Reuters: Super Lawyers Rising Star in Civil Litigation: Defense, 2010 – 2014
Thomson Reuters: Super Lawyers Rising Star in Environmental Litigation, 2008 – 2009
Robert L. Hainsworth Outstanding Service Award, Houston Lawyers Association, 2014
Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2013
Momentum Award, Ivy Educational and Charitable Foundation, Inc., 2013
Top Lawyers, H Texas Magazine, 2009
Outstanding Service as Vice Chairperson, 83rd Annual National Bar Assoc. Convention, 2008
Graduate, ABA Trial, Torts & Insurance Practice Section’s Trial Academy, 2008
Top Lawyers for the People, H Texas Magazine, 2008
Top Professionals on the Fast Track, H Texas Magazine, 2007 and 2006
Woodrow B. Seals Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year, Houston Young Lawyers Association, 2007
Nominee, Texas Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year, Texas Young Lawyers Association, 2007
Nominee, National Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year, American Bar Association, 2007
Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation, 2004
Life Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, 2004
Texas Super Lawyers is a service of Thomson Reuters
PRESENTATIONS & PAPERS
Speaker, Summary Judgments in State Court, Houston Lawyers Association Annual Civil CLE, 2014.
Author, Supreme Court Unlikely to Overturn EPA Rules in Texas Challenge, Hou. Bus. J., 2013.
Co-author/ Speaker, Overview of Summary Judgment Practice in State Court, State Bar of Texas 31st Annual Advanced Civil Trial Course (Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Austin), 2008.
Author, Certain Businesses at Potential Risk of Indoor Contamination, Hou. Bus. J.: Business Survival, 2007.
Co-author/ Speaker, TROs and Temporary Injunctions: Organizing the Effort Under Time Pressures, Univ. Hous. Litigation and Trial Tactics Seminar and Advanced Civil Litigation Seminar, 2006.
Author, Texas Supreme Court Superfund Law Interpretation Allows Contribution Claims, Clarifies ‘Arranger’ Liability, co-author, Mealey’s Emerging Toxic Torts, 2005.
Speaker, Effective Financial Management of a Law Firm, State Bar of Texas African American Annual Summit, 2017
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Houston Bar Association, Fun Run Committee (2013 – 2014); Speakers Bureau Committee (2012 – present); Special Olympics Committee (2003 – 2005 and 2014 – 2015)
Houston Lawyers Association (2001 – present), Board Member (2003 – 2008); President (2006-2007)
Texas Executive Women (2015-present); President-Elect (2017); Secretary (2016); Vice President of Membership (2015)
Houston Lawyers Foundation (2005-present), Chair of the Board (2009 – 2014)
Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Greater Houston, Board of Directors (2004 – 2010); Chair, Governance Committee
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Green Committee
Houston Young Lawyers Association, Board of Directors (2005); Car Seat Safety Committee, Co-Chair (2007 – 2008); Leadership 2000 Committee; Crossing the Line Juvenile Law Committee, Chair (2004 – 2006)