Our Coverage Practice Focuses on Policyholder Representation
With a combined 60 years of experience representing commercial insureds across a wide range of industries on virtually every type of coverage issue, our attorneys provide policyholders knowledgeable and straightforward legal advice.
- Obtained defense-cost reimbursement–after the insurer denied any liability–for one of the country’s largest school districts without having to resort to litigation
- Achieved substantial insurance recovery in mediated settlement of professional-liability claim for private university after carrier denied liability
- Settled lawsuit through early mediation for a fire loss under a commercial property policy, including elements of equipment repair, temporary operating expenses and business interruption losses
- After prevailing on appeal of a threshold related-claims coverage issue, successfully settled an E&P client’s securities-claim litigation
- Coverage counsel to a Fortune 100 company in one of the largest insurer-funded shareholder-derivative lawsuits to date
- Prevailed on summary judgment for oilfield service company on the legal meaning of “loss of hole” in a commercial general liability policy
- Settled large, complex defective-construction claim with primary and excess insurers under Owner Controlled Insurance Policy for international hotel and casino chain
Hurricane and Flooding Claims
- Counseled Texas Medical Center hospitals and teaching institutions in recovering insured losses after Tropical Storm Allison.
- Represented the Alley Theatre against its insurer for water damage claims arising from Tropical Storm Allison
- Litigated Control of Well and Making Wells Safe claims for offshore properties damaged by Hurricanes Rita and Katrina
- Litigated Removal of Wreck claims against the London insurance market after Hurricane Rita damaged offshore platforms.
- Represented an E&P company after Hurricane Ike destroyed offshore property; helped negotiate settlements with tiered domestic and international insurance structure and litigated disputed claims to a successful conclusion
- Counseled commercial policyholders through business interruption and contingent business interruption claims arising from property damage and orders of civil authority.
- Represented public company in seeking coverage for reimbursement of a settlement for securities claims under directors’ and officers’ policy.
- Counseled Fortune 100 company in one of the largest insurer-funded derivative claim settlements to date.
- Represented Fortune 500 energy company in fidelity insurance claim resulting from computer-based theft.
- Resolved coverage dispute under CGL and D&O policies arising out of a judgment, involving issues of wrongful termination, intentional conduct, concurrent causation, notice and allocation of loss between policies.
Property Damage and Oil & Gas Claims
- Litigated claims for well bore damage through Underground Resources endorsement.
- Helped policyholders with business interruption and contingent business interruption claims in quantifying losses and guiding submission for payment under first-party policies.
- Worked collaboratively with plaintiff’s counsel and insurance company’s counsel to settle commercial property damage claim arising out of flooring installation.
- Assisted in-house risk management with the settlement of an international boiler & machinery claim involving complex issues of causation.
- Represented international industrial services company in pollution liability coverage litigation.
- Resolved property damage and business interruption claims arising out of radioactive contamination.
- Coordinated coverage between multiple parties and insurers with conflicting indemnity language in Master Services Agreements.
- Identified historical policies for client faced with long-tail personal injury claims and worked with brokers to maintain consistency in handling claims.
- Successfully obtained summary judgments on insurers’ duty to defend with reimbursement of defense costs in property damage, personal injury and environmental claims.
- Resolved coverage dispute under homeowner’s policy for alleged damage to neighbor’s property.
- Litigated coverage issues between a major oil field services company and several excess insurers arising out of an adverse judgment; issues included concurrent causation and underground resources exclusions.
- Counseled oilfield services company on right of reimbursement from insurer for defense costs, penalties and court costs taxed against insured
EXPLORE OUR PRACTICE AREAS
With a combined 60 years of experience representing commercial insureds across a wide range of industries on virtually every type of coverage issue, our attorneys provide knowledgeable and straightforward legal advice.
John Pearson’s decades of litigation work in the energy and maritime sectors, combined with his recognized commitment to upholding the highest principles of professionalism, make him ideally suited for appointments as an arbitrator.